Uruguay have filed an appeal with FIFA against a lengthy ban imposed on Luis Suarez for biting an opponent at the World Cup, football’s ruling body said on Thursday.

FIFA spokeswoman Delia Fischer did not say when the appeal’s committee would make a decision.

The Uruguayan federation had until Monday to appeal the ban of nine national team matches and four months from all football-related activities.

The Liverpool striker has apologised for what was the third biting offence of his career.

Chiellini has said the ban is too harsh, a view shared by FIFA vice-president Julio Grondona, who told Cadena Cope radio on Thursday that the decision was hasty and that the appeal’s committee should look at “rehabilitating” Suarez rather than “killing him”. Disciplinary committee chief Claudio Sulser defended the sanction, saying justice had been done.

Sulser also reaffirmed that Suarez’s ban from football activities did not include transfer activities, which include a mandatory medical.

The forward has been linked with a move to Barcelona.

More In: FIFA 2014 | Football | Sport