Pune Warriors will play in IPL-5, after all.
“Yes, Pune will be part of the IPL this year,” Subrata Roy, chairman of Sahara India Parivar that owns Pune Warriors, told reporters here on Saturday. “I do not want to see the Pune players suffer because of the BCCI; there are many promising players in the team and they should not be deprived of a chance to impress the National selectors.”
Sahara had pulled out from Pune Warriors' ownership hours before the auction of the IPL players in Bangalore on February 4.
Roy, who was here to deliver a lecture at the Indian Institute of Management-Kozhikode, said he decided to continue with the IPL also for the sake of the Pune team's supporters. “More than 40,000 people had come to witness the logo release of the team though there were not any stars at the function,” he said. “They were not able to watch any IPL match in Pune last year, so this year when they could have the games at home, they should not be denied the opportunity to watch those matches.”
About Sahara's decision to back out from its sponsorship of the Indian cricket team, Roy said he was still ready to talk the matter with the BCCI. “We are never rigid,” he said. “I will be able to talk more about that after my meeting with the BCCI officials in Chennai on Sunday.”