Speculations were rife that the two-Test series against the West Indies could be Sachin Tendulkar’s swansong, but chief selector Sandeep Patil said on Wednesday that he had not discussed the legendary cricketer’s future plans with him for close to a year.
“It’s always a pleasure to meet Sachin, but I have not met him in the last 10 months. I have not called him, and neither has he called me.
“We have not discussed anything. It’s all nonsense,” Patil said when queried about a media report quoting an unnamed selector that he (Patil) had recently met Tendulkar and discussed his future with him.
The report said Patil had met Tendulkar after the BCCI pencilled in a previously unscheduled series against the West Indies at home in November comprising two Tests and three ODIs.
The report also hinted that Patil had told Tendulkar the selectors would decide the batsman’s future after his much-awaited 200th Test appearance, which is expected to occur in the two-match home series against the West Indies.
“Patil spoke to Sachin Tendulkar and made him understand the entire scenario. He even told him about the selectors’ plan for the next one year, and how they were looking to blood more youngsters,” the unnamed selector had been quoted as saying in the report.