Former New Zealand all-rounder Chris Cairns, under investigation by the ICC for alleged match-fixing, defended himself here on Sunday.

“We are now in the 10th week, since, like you, I heard via the media that my name was linked to an ICC investigation into match fixing,” he said.

Cairns revealed, “I have heard that there are English Police in New Zealand this week investigating the matter, but no one has contacted me, despite some people saying otherwise.”

The 43-year-old Cairns, who has 3320 runs and 218 wickets from 62 Tests, said, “I know the ICC has contacted my ex-wife Carin and were flying to South Africa to question her. I have been told that the ICC has now cancelled the trip after Carin told them that I had never been involved in match-fixing.”

Cairns said, “I don’t even know which matches they are talking about. I have never been asked anything so far.”

Serious impact

Upset that his name had been leaked, the all-rounder said, “The impact of this on my career and the professional opportunities in front of me is very serious. My livelihood is directly linked to my reputation. So, while this dark cloud hangs over me, my ability to work and provide for my family is almost non-existent.”

He added, “So my life has been effectively put on hold. Yet I remain totally in the dark about what I am being investigated for, what the basis for this investigation is.”

More In: Cricket | Sport