SEARCH

Sport » Cricket

Updated: September 8, 2009 14:59 IST

Clarke opts out of CL T20

PTI
print   ·   T  T  
Michael Clarke. Photo: K.R. Deepak
Michael Clarke. Photo: K.R. Deepak

Australian vice-captain Michael Clarke has opted out of the New South Wales (NSW) squad for the inaugural Champions League Twenty20 tournament in India next month citing heavy workload with the national team.

Clark’s decision to give USD 2.5 million Champions League Twenty20 a miss was no surprise as the right-hander had earlier made himself unavailable for first two editions of the lucrative Indian Premier League citing similar reasons.

However, inspite of Clark’s absence, Cricket NSW has named a formidable squad with the likes Simon Katich, Nathan Bracken, Brett Lee, Stuart Clarke and David Warner up their ranks for the two-week long tournament, which starts on October 8.

“The NSW squad has an excellent mixture of international experience and talented youngsters and I am very excited about our prospects going into a tournament that will showcase the NSW team on the world stage for the first time,” Cricket NSW Chief Executive David Gilbert, said while announcing the squad.

More In: Cricket | Sport
Sunday, March 29
Final Aus. vs NZ 9 a.m. Melbourne
Sunday, March 29
Final Aus. vs NZ 9 a.m. Melbourne

Pages from the past Digging out some classic articles from our exhaustive archives.

That night...June 25, 1983

Field Marshal extraordinaire

Giving the boys their due

The fascinating journey with Lara

Salute to a great team in decline

Let us resolve...

It isn't cricket

Tennis

Football

Races



O
P
E
N

close

Recent Article in Cricket

Michael Clarke, who announced his retirement from the ODIs, says it was the right time to quit the shorter format of the game and give the new skipper enough time to build the team.

Clarke to retire from ODIs

The Australian captain wants to prolong his Test career »