India’s tour of South Africa was given the green signal on Tuesday with the respective Boards issuing a joint statement.

The statement said: “Following meetings in London over the past couple of days, CSA (Cricket South Africa) and the BCCI (Board of Control for Cricket in India) have today announced that the South Africa cricket team will play against India in an upcoming home series.”

Schedule soon

The series will include two Test matches and three One-Day Internationals. The schedule for the series would be announced soon, the statement said.

The series was under threat following India’s objections to certain observations made by CSA chief executive Haroon Lorgat.

“The agreement to tour was concluded by the two Boards after various concerns were raised around the recent ICC Board meeting in London about the alleged conduct of CSA’s chief executive, Mr. Haroon Lorgat, and recent comments made about the ICC Board by a former legal advisor to CSA, Mr. David Becker,” the joint statement assured.

Becker, a former ICC legal head, had earlier alleged that it was “improper” to allow a member body to “blatantly disregard an ICC resolution” in reference to the Future Tours Programme.

According to the announcement, “In addition, both parties have also agreed to continue with good faith discussions between their respective presidents about the possibility of agreeing further bilateral arrangements in respect of the scheduled fixtures between the two teams, and taking into account any scheduling imbalances from previous years.”

The South African authorities had obviously taken note of their excellent relationship in the past with the BCCI.

The officials also stressed on the need to recognise the fact that this series was a high profile event and had the possibility of engaging the attention of the cricket world for its expected quality.

Investigation

The statement also promised investigation into the root cause of media comments. “The ICC will convene an investigation by an independent third party (to be appointed by the ICC) into the content and distribution of the media comments, subsequent attempts to have them withdrawn, and, in particular, the role of Mr. Lorgat in relation to these matters.”

No further role in ICC

Lorgat, the joint statement concluded, would not have any further role to play in the ICC. “Pending the outcome of this investigation, CSA has ordered the withdrawal of Mr.. Lorgat from representing it at the ICC’s chief executive’s committee (or from acting in any other ICC-related matters).”

In a major victory for the BCCI, it was also decided that Mr. Lorgat would not be involved in any “aspect of CSA’s relationship with the BCCI”.

More In: Cricket | Sport