South African athletics boss Leonard Chuene was on Friday dismissed from his position over the Semenya affair and financial irregularities.

In a statement the South African Confederation and Olympic Committee (SASCOC) said that Chuene, as well as Athletics South Africa (ASA) board members Kakata Mopanyane and Simon Dlamini have been removed from their posts with immediate effect.

Chuene, who had earlier been suspended by ASA, admitted lying about gender tests conducted on South African athlete Caster Semenya, who won gold in the women’s 800 metres, but was then sidelined for nearly a year while controversy around her gender raged.

The three ASA officials, who failed to appear before the disciplinary panel, were also barred from holding any positions in sporting codes affiliated to SASCOC. Chuene has been barred for seven years, while Maponyane and Dlamini have been banned for five and three years respectively.

The SASCOC statement made no detailed mention of the financial irregularities that Chuene was guilty of.

SASCOC said that if the three members wished to return to athletics earlier than stipulated, they would have to show reasons why they should be allowed to return.

“In considering whether he should be allowed to return the following three conditions are to be taken into account: Whether the legal costs against Chuene are paid; whether Chuene has repaid the money he unconstitutionally appropriated, including the per diems, cash loans and corporate credit card usage and whether Mr. Chuene has shown any remorse for his actions,” SASCOC said.

More In: Athletics | Sport