Applying urine has long been hailed as the best treatment for jellyfish stings. But, now British Red Cross says the belief that it can lessen the pain of venom injected by the marine creatures is nothing but myth.
It says the substance has the wrong chemical make-up for the job, and that seawater or vinegar is more effective, The Daily Telegraph reported.
“A sting from a jellyfish can be extremely painful, but trying to treat it with urine isn’t going to make your day any better. Urine just doesn’t have the right chemical make-up to solve the problem.
“If people have been stung, they need to get out of the water to avoid getting stung again. Once out, slowly pouring seawater over the sting will help ease the pain,” Joe Mulligan, head of first aid at the British Red Cross, said.
He added: “Doing the same thing with vinegar can be even more effective as the acid helps neutralise the jellyfish sting. But, unless you’re near a chip shop, seawater will probably be easier to find.”