Two decades after serial blasts rocked Mumbai killing 257 people and injuring over 700, the Supreme Court upheld the death sentence of one and conviction of several others including Bollywood star Sanjay Dutt. Following is the chronology of events in the case.
* March 12, 1993: A series of 13 explosions rock Mumbai resulting in 257 fatalities and injuries to 713 others.
* April 19,1993: Actor Sanjay Dutt (accused number 117) arrested.
* November 4, 1993 : Over 10,000 page—long primary charge sheet filed against 189 accused, including Dutt.
* November 19, 1993: Case handed over to CBI.
* April 1, 1994: TADA court shifted from city’s sessions and civil court to a separate building inside the premises of the Arthur Road Central Jail.
* April 10, 1995: 26 accused discharged by the TADA court. Charges framed against the remaining accused. Supreme Court discharges two more accused — travel agent Abu Asim Azmi (now Samajwadi Party Member of Parliament) and Amjed Meher Baux.
* April 19, 1995: Trial commences.
* April-June, 1995: Charges framed against the accused. * June 30: Two accused, Mohammed Jameel and Usman Jhankanan, turn approvers in the case.
* October 14, 1995: Dutt granted bail by the Supreme Court.
* March 23, 1996: Judge J N Patel transfered and elevated as a high court judge.
* March 29, 1996: P D Kode designated as a special TADA judge for the case.
* October, 2000: Examination of 684 prosecution witnesses ends.
* March 9-July 18, 2001: Accused record their statements.
* August 9, 2001: Prosecution begins arguments.
* October 18, 2001: Prosecution completes arguments.
* November 9, 2001: Defence starts arguments.
* August 22, 2002: Defence closes arguments.
* February 20, 2003: Dawood gang member Ejaz Pathan produced in court.
* March 20, 2003: Mustafa Dossa’s remand proceedings and trial separated.
* September 2003: Trial ends. Court reserves Judgement.
* June 13, 2006: Gangster Abu Salem’s trial separated.
* August 10, 2006: Judge P D Kode says judgement will be pronounced on September 12.
* September 12, 2006: Court starts delivering the judgement, pronounces four members of the Memon family guilty, acquits three. 12 convicts awarded death penalty while 20 were given life sentence.
* November 1, 2011: SC begins hearing on appeals filed by the 100 convicts as well as the state.
* August 29, 2012: SC reserves its order on the appeals.
* March 21, 2013: SC upholds death sentence of convict Yakub Memon, brother of Tiger Memon, and commutes death sentence of 10 convicts to life term. Life imprisonment of 16 out of 18 convicts also upheld. Sanjay Dutt also convicted and gets 5 years of jail.
* April 17, 2013: SC gives Sanjay Dutt a month to surrender
* May 10, 2013: SC dismisses Sanjay Dutt’s review plea
*May 14, 2013: Sanjay Dutt withdrew the mercy plea
*May 16, 2013: Dutt surrenders to Mumbai police.
Keywords: 1993 Mumbai blasts