Two decades after serial blasts rocked Mumbai killing 257 people and injuring over 700, the Supreme Court today upheld the death sentence of one and conviction of several others including Bollywood star Sanjay Dutt. Following is the chronology of events in the case.
* Mar 12, 1993: A series of 13 explosions rock Mumbai resulting in 257 fatalities and injuries to 713 others.
* Apr 19: Actor Sanjay Dutt (accused number 117) arrested.
* Nov 4 : Over 10,000 page—long primary charge sheet filed against 189 accused, including Dutt.
* Nov 19: Case handed over to CBI.
* Apr 1, 1994: TADA court shifted from city’s sessions and civil court to a separate building inside the premises of the Arthur Road Central Jail.
* Apr 10, 1995: 26 accused discharged by the TADA court. Charges framed against the remaining accused. Supreme Court discharges two more accused — travel agent Abu Asim Azmi (now Samajwadi Party Member of Parliament) and Amjed Meher Baux.
* Apr 19: Trial commences.
* Apr—June: Charges framed against the accused. * June 30: Two accused, Mohammed Jameel and Usman Jhankanan, turn approvers in the case.
* Oct 14: Dutt granted bail by the Supreme Court.
* Mar 23, 1996: Judge J N Patel transfered and elevated as a high court judge.
* Mar 29: P D Kode designated as a special TADA judge for the case.
* Oct 2000: Examination of 684 prosecution witnesses ends.
* Mar 9—July 18, 2001: Accused record their statements.
* Aug 9: Prosecution begins arguments.
* Oct 18: Prosecution completes arguments.
* Nov 9: Defence starts arguments.
* Aug 22, 2002: Defence closes arguments.
* Feb 20, 2003: Dawood gang member Ejaz Pathan produced in court.
* Mar 20, 2003: Mustafa Dossa’s remand proceedings and trial separated.
* Sept 2003: Trial ends. Court reserves Judgement.
* June 13, 2006: Gangster Abu Salem’s trial separated.
* Aug 10: Judge P D Kode says judgement will be pronounced on September 12.
* Sept 12: Court starts delivering the judgement, pronounces four members of the Memon family guilty, acquits three. 12 convicts awarded death penalty while 20 were given life sentence.
* Nov 1, 2011: SC begins hearing on appeals filed by the 100 convicts as well as the state.
* Aug 29, 2012: SC reserves its order on the appeals.
* Mar 21, 2013: SC upholds death sentence of convict Yakub Memon, brother of Tiger Memon, and commutes death sentence of 10 convicts to life term. Life imprisonment of 16 out of 18 convicts also upheld
* April 17, 2013: SC gives Sanjay Dutt a month to surrender
* May 10, 2013: SC dismisses Sanjay Dutt’s review plea
Keywords: 1993 Mumbai blasts