Rock-solid economic hub of Telangana
Jun 3, 2014
Gone are the days when Karimnagar’s name evoked images of Kalashnikov rifles flaunted by Maoist rebels. The district, once billed as a backward area, is now emerging as a hub of economic activity. Now it is the destination for granite traders from across the world, especially China. The intense mining activity spurred by huge reserves of Tan Brown, Maple Red and Coffee Brown granite, has made the district emerge as an economic hub of Telangana State. Granite mining gained momentum from 2002 onwards when China started importing in the run up to the 2008 Olympics in Beijing. - Text by: K. M. Dayashankar and Photos: Thakur Ajaypal Singh.
Please Wait while comments are loading...
1. Comments will be moderated by The Hindu editorial team.
2. Comments that are abusive, personal, incendiary or irrelevant cannot be published.
3. Please write complete sentences. Do not type comments in all capital letters,
or in all lower case letters, or using abbreviated text.
(example: u cannot substitute for you, d is not 'the', n is not 'and').
4. We may remove hyperlinks within comments.
5. Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name, to avoid rejection.
The Hindu presents the all-new Young World