A fifteen-year-old was arrested by the Special Task Force of the Kolkata police at Pakur in Jharkhand late on Tuesday for allegedly sending two emails, in which he posed as an operative of the Indian Mujahideen and claiming that it was responsible for the recent Delhi High Court blast that killed 13 persons.

Claiming that interrogation proved that the boy had no connection with any terror group, STF officers said he admitted to having sent the emails.

A team of the National Investigation Agency was expected to arrive here to question the boy, a Class IX student.

“The second and fourth emails sent from chotoominani5@gmail.com, in which the sender identified himself as an Indian Mujahideen operative, claimed responsibility for the blast and warned of more blasts in shopping malls, were sent by the boy from his BlackBerry phone. We recovered both the emails from the email account's sent mail section after he gave the password,” said Rajiv Kumar, Additional Commissioner of Police-III and STF chief.

The SIM card was registered in the Jharkhand circle and not in the city as suspected earlier, the police said.

“During interrogation, we found nothing that could link him to any terror outfit. He has admitted that he did the job only for fun. An NIA team will examine him further though,” Mr. Kumar said.

The STF has charged the boy under Sections 66A and 66B of the Information Technology Act and Section 257A of the Indian Penal Code. He was produced before a juvenile court here.

Meanwhile, the STF has sent a photograph of a suspect, arrested in Howrah district on Tuesday, to the NIA, since the police claimed that the person bore a resemblance to the sketches of the one of the two prime suspects the NIA released after the blast.

Afzal Taiyyab was arrested at Bagnan Rural Hospital after he went there for treatment of his injuries that appeared to have been inflicted by a bomb explosion. “The suspect has one finger missing and also burn injuries on his face. We found his statements incoherent during the initial interrogation. He is right now not in a mental condition to be interrogated and is undergoing treatment,” Mr. Kumar said.


First arrests made in Delhi HC blast probe September 14, 2011