Besides announcing an immediate contribution of Rs. 5 crore towards flood relief work in Uttarakhand, Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on Sunday said her government was ready to render any other assistance required by the Uttarakhand government.

In a statement here, she said her government had taken measures to mitigate the suffering of stranded pilgrims from Tamil Nadu.

Medical attention

She said these pilgrims were being transported to New Delhi, where they had been accommodated at the Tamil Nadu House and given immediate medical attention and other facilities.

“On my instructions they are being flown to Tamil Nadu at the State government’s cost. The first batch of 83 pilgrims arrived in Chennai on June 21, and they were received by senior Ministers and officers of the government of Tamil Nadu,” she said.

The Chief Minister said arrangements were made to transport them to their respective destinations in various districts. Again on Saturday, 275 pilgrims were brought to Chennai by the State government and similar facilities had been extended to them. “My government will ensure that these facilities are extended to all pilgrims belonging to Tamil Nadu returning from the disaster zone in Uttarakhand,” she said.

More In: Tamil Nadu | National