In accordance with the settlement reached with the trade unions, the Indcoserve at the Neyveli Lignite Corporation started enrolling the contract workmen, as per their seniority, as a prerequisite to absorbing them in regular jobs from Monday.
As per the seniority list already prepared and agreed upon between the contract workmen and the NLC management, a total of 4,313 contract workmen would be enrolled in the Indcoserve in a phased manner.
NLC management sources told The Hindu that the settlement was reached with the trade unions following the 44-day strike by contract workmen demanding regularisation.
On June 3, it was agreed upon to prepare a common seniority list as directed by the Supreme Court for the purpose of enrolling in the Indcoserve. Regularisation would be done as and when the vacancies arise. Sources also said that since the entire lot could not be enrolled at one go, it had been decided to enrol contract workmen at the rate of 300 every day, 150 in the forenoon session and another 150 in the afternoon session.
General secretary of the NLC - Jeeva Oppantha Thozhilalar Sangam K. Venkatesan said the list of contract workmen to be inducted into the Indcoserve had already been mutually agreed upon. The enrolment process would go on till June 17.
“The issue that is now sticking out is the number of vacancies existing in the regular employment of the NLC,” Mr. Venkatesan said.
This issue could not be resolved even after three rounds of tripartite talks held in the presence of Assistant Labour Commissioner P. Sivarajan recently.
The workers stuck to the stand that the NLC management should make known the number of vacancies in regular posts from 1990 till date.
But the NLC management has not agreed to the demand till now.