The Tamil Nadu government today announced Rs one lakh as solatium to the kin of those killed in last night’s road accident at Vellore.

Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa informed the Assembly that 22 persons had been killed in the accident after the Pollachi bound private bus lost control and hit a culvert before falling into a 10-feet-deep ditch.

Under its impact, the A/C equipment in the bus burst following which the vehicle caught fire.

“Twenty two persons were killed on the spot and the dead have been charred beyond recognition. Their identities are being ascertained from the ticket list available with the bus operator,” she said.

One passenger and the driver of the bus had survived the accident and both of them were being administered with medical treatment, she said.

Expressing her condolence over the death, Ms. Jayalalithaa also announced Rs 50,000 to the injured.

The Chief Minister said she had deputed three ministers to review the situation.

RELATED NEWS

Bus tragedy: death toll revised to 21 June 8, 2011