Acute diarrhoeal disease (ADD) claimed the life of a 4-year-old girl and sent four others to a hospital in Karur, near here, on Sunday. Contamination of drinking water by sewage is believed to be the cause.

Following the death of Shruthi, the Health Department conducted a door-to-door screening in the 215-household village. Officials from the Block Development Office found that open-drain sewage had seeped into the water supply line at some places. Piped supply was immediately suspended and chlorinated water supplied.

According to Health Department sources, Shruthi, daughter of Nagaraj, was rushed to the Government District Headquarters Hospital with severe diahorrea, but was declared brought dead. Her brother, Dingu, 6, who also suffered from dehydration, was admitted.

During the screening, four others were found suffering from ADD.

More In: Tamil Nadu | National