The Congress high command on Friday named candidates for the three constituencies that did not figure in its first list, and changed the candidates for two other constituencies, but resentment against the choice of nominees for the Assembly election continued to haunt the party.

There was even an attempt by a woman Youth Congress volunteer to set herself on fire in front of the Tamil Nadu Congress Committee president K.V.Thangkabalu's residence at Adyar here in the morning.

Of the 63 seats that the Congress had obtained from alliance leader Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam, the first list, released on Wednesday, comprised candidates for 60 constituencies. The candidates for the other three released on Friday are: K.S. Hasan Ali, sitting MLA (Ramanthapuram), K. Senthilkumar, deputy mayor of Tirupur corporation (Tirupur South) and Kanchi Mathialagan (Poonamallee- reserved). It changed the candidates for Tiruttani and Krishnagiri. While E.S.S.Raman, sitting MLA, will replace T.L.Sadhasivalingam at Tiruttani, Makbhuljon will replace Haseena Syed at Krishnagiri.

Meanwhile, a group of women, said to belong to the Congress Mahila Dal, gathered near the residence of Mr.Thangkabalu around 11 a.m. protesting against the nomination of his wife Jayanthi Thangkabalu as candidate for the Mylapore constituency. In addition, a number of volunteers, led by Vijayasekar, a Youth Congress leader, marched from Mylapore to Adyar to join them. When they were prevented by police from gathering in front of Mr. Thangkabalu's residence, there was a melee. Besides, there was an attempt to burn an effigy of Mr.Thangkabalu which was foiled by the police. When a woman volunteer and also a Youth Congress member tried to commit self-immolation dousing herself with kerosene, the police foiled that attempt too.

Mr. Thangkabalu , who met mediapersons, said it was improper on the part of some partymen taking to the streets and indulging in such agitations after the high command had announced its decision. With regard to vandalism at Sathyamurthy Bhavan, party headquarters, on Thursday a police complaint had been filed.