A day after the death of Sadiq Batcha, a close aide of former Telecom Minister A. Raja, the autopsy revealed that he died of asphyxia, a condition usually associated with hanging.

The Chennai police, meanwhile, have begun looking into his recent telephone calls.

Batcha, Managing Director of Green House Promoters, had been examined by the Central Bureau of Investigation in connection with the 2G spectrum allocation scam. On suspicion that he was privy to information pertaining to alleged investments made by beneficiaries of the scam, the Enforcement Directorate had mounted surveillance on him, police sources said.

“We are examining the calls Batcha made and received in recent weeks. Investigation is on to know who met him in the last few days and the reasons thereof. Enquiries with family members revealed that he was in a depressed state of mind of late,” a police officer said.

A police guard was posted at Batcha's residence here. “It appears that he was preparing to commit suicide… the handwritten suicide note was dated March 15, 2011. It is still not clear whether the CBI had summoned him or he had booked a flight ticket to New Delhi on Wednesday,” the officer said.

Enquiries with friends

Special teams investigating the case made enquiries with Batcha's relatives and friends on Thursday. Some neighbours were asked if they had knowledge about visitors to Batcha's house in recent days.

The post mortem was conducted at the Government Royapettah Hospital here on Thursday. Police photographed and videographed the process.

“He died of asphyxia, a fatal condition that usually occurs in cases of hanging,” Professor of Forensic Medicine V. Dekal said.

“There were no injuries on the body except for a mark on his neck. We have sent samples for pathology testing to ascertain whether the injury occurred before or after death,” he noted. Samples of internal organs were sent to the Forensic Science Laboratory for chemical analysis.

“We also have to check if poison was administered. A conclusive opinion on whether it was a case of suicide can be arrived at only after receiving the laboratory reports,” Dr. Dekal said.

Commissioner of Police T. Rajendran on Thursday evening sent a letter to the Director General of Police requesting that the case be transferred to the CBI.