Police on Monday claimed “substantial progress” in the investigation into the murder of veteran journalist Jyotirmoy Dey as they get ready to file a status report in the Bombay High Court tomorrow.
“We have made substantial progress and inched closer to cracking the case,” Additional Police Commissioner (Crime) Deven Bharti told reporters.
“We have also reviewed the probe done so far and will brief the Advocate General who will apprise the court (about the status of the case),” he said.
The High Court had on last Thursday directed the Maharashtra government and police to file on June 21 a status report on the probe into the June 11 murder of the 56-year-old scribe amidst growing demand for a CBI inquiry.
Police have also accessed the personal email data of Dey, which Mr. Bharti claimed, helped the investigators to get “some positive” leads in the case.
Dey’s mobile phone call records had also been verified, Mr. Bharti said, adding “hours before being shot dead, the journalist had gone to a courier firm’s office to send visa and passport-related documents to the Philippines tourism office in Delhi. He was to go on a junket.”