Expressing surprise over the Bharatiya Janata Party’s decision to withdraw support to the Shibu Soren government, the Jharkhand Mukti Morcha on Monday said the party chief would choose his allies in the run up to the floor test but did not come clear if any deal was made with the Congress.
“We don’t know under what circumstances the BJP took the decision even before tomorrow’s deadline. Everything was decided and the JMM even gave in writing to the BJP to take over the reins with our support,” JMM legislature party leader Hemant Soren told a press conference here.
The JMM legislature party meeting was held after the BJP’s withdrawal of support and the party has authorised the Chief Minister to decide on the future shape of his coalition, he said.
“We will put everything before you (the media) within two or three days,” he said, adding they were opposed to President’s rule in Jharkhand.
Asked whether the party would opt for mid-term polls, Mr. Hemant Soren said, “The JMM is never scared of elections as it has the people with it.”
“Everything was settled with the BJP and things were to unfold step by step. We sought some time to get consensus and bring all MLAs on one platform, but even before tomorrow’s deadline, the BJP took the decision to withdraw support,” Mr. Hemant Soren said.
“I think there must be some confusion over this, but the decision was theirs,” he said.
He, however, did not give a direct reply when asked whether the JMM was currently in a dialogue with the Congress saying “talks do happen with many, be it the Congress, the JVM, the AJSU, the RJD or the JD(U). But we agreed to help the BJP to form the government in writing.”
Asked even if Mr. Shibu Soren sailed through the floor test how could he fight the by-poll to enter the assembly by June-end, Mr. Hemant Soren said even governor M.O.H. Farooq reminded the Chief Minister during their meeting that Mr. Shibu Soren has to win a by-poll, otherwise he would have to resign by June 29.
“The Chief Minister replied to the Governor that if such a situation arises he would certainly take a decision,” Mr. Hemant Soren said.