Battling difficult conditions, rescuers from Indian Navy extricated body of one more victim from the submarine INS Sindhurakshak late on Saturday, taking the total number of bodies recovered so far to six, naval sources said.
Even as hope fades for the families of the crew members trapped in the submarine INS Sindhurakshak, divers from the Navy are continuing their search. They managed to open a second access to the vessel in the early hours of Saturday morning, an operation they called “challenging but critical.”
The divers had managed to open a second access to the sunken vessel during an overnight operation.
Five charred bodies were recovered on Friday and the Navy had declared that finding survivors was unlikely.
The divers prised open the rear escape hatch which was jammed due to high temperatures and submerged. They are also trying to open the jammed forward escape hatch to enter the front portion of the submarine, a release from the Navy said.
After two explosions ripped through its forward section, the Kilo-class, diesel-powered Sindhurakshak sank on Tuesday night in the dockyard here.
Doctors at the State-run JJ Hospital here have completed post-mortem on the five bodies.