To enable it to decide on CBI plea for closure of case against Quattrocchi

To facilitate the trial court to take a decision on the CBI application for closure of the Bofors case against Italian businessman Ottavio Quattrocchi, the Supreme Court on Tuesday directed its Registry to send the records forthwith.

The records “should be sent back as soon as the case in the trial court is decided or whenever this court decides to call them back,” said a Bench of Justices H.S. Bedi and C.K. Prasad.

When advocate Ajay Aggarwal, who had filed an appeal in the Bofors case, objected to the sending of records, Justice Prasad said these could be called back at any stage, if required.

In its application, the CBI said its plea for withdrawal of the prosecution against Mr. Quattrocchi had been pending in the trial court in Delhi. When the matter was taken up on November 6, 2009, it was noticed that the original file had been requisitioned by the Supreme Court and for this reason no orders could be passed by the trial court.

With the Chief Metropolitan Magistrate set to take up the matter for further hearing on August 28, the CBI on Tuesday reiterated its plea for sending back the records from the Supreme Court for withdrawal of the case against Mr. Quattrocchi, who had so far not appeared in the court.

More In: National | News