Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati on Monday expressed dissatisfaction over the allotment of 52 companies of Central paramilitary forces by the Centre. She said these were inadequate for maintaining law and order in view of the Ayodhya title suit verdict, which would be pronounced by the Special Lucknow Bench of the Allahabad High Court on September 24.

The State government has demanded 642 companies of paramilitary forces, including 29 companies for the security of the Allahabad High Court and its Lucknow Bench. Successive requisitions in this regard were sent to the Centre on August 2, 2010; August 6, 2010; September 1, 2010; and finally on September 6, 2010. Also included in the demand of 642 companies are 143 companies for the security of the Babri site in Ayodhya.

Ms. Mayawati, who reviewed the law and order situation and the security measures, said that ever since the date for the verdict was decided, all possible measures had been taken by the State government for maintaining law and order. She said her government would ensure that communal forces did not disturb the law and order situation.

She said that after the Centre was apprised of the situation, U.P. Director-General of Police Karamveer Singh met Union Home Secretary G.K. Pillai.

RELATED NEWS

Judge: I wasn't consulted on deferment pleaSeptember 20, 2010