A student of Class X of the Assam Valley Public School located at Balipara town near Tezpur in northern Assam's Sonitpur district was electrocuted while playing a guitar on Monday afternoon.
The incident has shocked students and guardians of the institution, considered a top residential school in the country.
Sonitpur District Superintendent of Police A.P. Tiwari told The Hindu that the victim Ranabir Das was the son of Debajit Das, a physician from upper Assam's Dibrugarh town.
“It was an accident. He received electric shock while playing an electric guitar. He was declared dead when brought to a private hospital. A case has been registered and investigations are on. The inquest and post-mortem will be carried out on Tuesday morning,” the SP said.