Bollywood actor and Mumbai blast convict Sanjay Dutt's parole was extended by 30 days by the Maharashtra Government on Tuesday.
Dutt, convicted in the Mumbai serial blasts case, has been out on parole since December 21. He was scheduled to return to the Yerawada Central Prison on February 21. This is the third extension in his parole since he started his second stint in the jail in May 2013.
The actor had submitted a request for extension to Pune Divisional Commissioner Prabhakar Deshmukh earlier last week, stating that his wife Manayata was not well.
Speaking to The Hindu, Deputy Commissioner Tukaram Pawar said that a favourable report had been received from the police and from a team of doctors at JJ Hosiptal in Mumbai, after which the decision to extend Dutt's parole was taken. “The order will be issued on Tuesday evening,” Mr. Pawar said.
Any convict is eligible for 90 days parole in a calendar year. Dutt has already availed 60 days, and this is his last extension, Mr. Pawar said.
Dutt was released on furlough for 14 days on October 1, 2013 and had applied for an extension of another 14 days, after which he returned to Yerawada on October 30, before being granted parole in December.
Dutt, whose sister Priya Dutt is a Congress MP, has been lodged at the Yerawada Jail since May last year to serve the remaining 42 months of his sentence after his conviction in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case.
In the past, Opposition parties in the State, including the Bharatiya Janata Party, have raised an objection to the extension of parole, stating that such treatment towards a blast accused would send the wrong message.