SEARCH

News » National

Updated: October 14, 2010 11:20 IST

Reprieve for Anand Jon as court dismisses some charges

PTI
print   ·   T  T  
File photo of fashion designer Anand Jon Alexander.
AP File photo of fashion designer Anand Jon Alexander.

Indian-American fashion designer Anand Jon, accused of rape and sexual abuse against several women including minors, got reprieve from a Manhattan court after the judge dismissed some of the charges against him.

The Manhattan judge dismissed charges against Jon, by three of his accusers, on the recommendation from District Attorney’s office, The New York Post reported.

“Anand Jon continues to insist he is innocent,” Jon’s lawyer Adam Freedman said here adding the charges dismissed by the court involved women “who knew him (Jon) longest.”

Jon, in January, had pleaded not guilty to the charges of sexually assaulting at least nine women and underage girls here between 2002 and 2006 after being sentenced a jail term of 59 years by a Los Angeles court for similar crimes.

Born in India, Alexander -- known professionally as Anand Jon -- launched a fashion line in 1999.

He was featured on “America’s Next Top Model,” worked with such celebrities as Paris Hilton and Mary J Blige.

The hearing in New York is separate from the case against 36-year-old Alexander in California, which concluded in 2008 with him being convicted of sexually assaulting seven women and girls and getting a sentence of 59 years’ life-imprisonment. The girls were as young as 14.

In New York, he was originally charged with preying on a dozen women after contacting them with offers of modelling opportunities.

In 2007, Alexander had been charged in New York but the case was in standby until the California case concluded.

He is also appealing the California decision.

Jon allegedly molested women between the ages of 15 and 26 by using drugs and the opportunity of modelling to lure women during the period between 2002 and 2006 in New York.

Proceedings against Jon “will continue for the remaining alleged casting couch assaults, including forcible rape, on nine other accusers, many of them young fashion models,” The Post said.

Jon will next appear in Manhattan Supreme Court on December 8 to set a trial date.

More In: National | News

International

Tamil Nadu

Andhra Pradesh

Karnataka

Kerala


O
P
E
N

close

Recent Article in National

India backs info swap on black money

India will support the proposed international automatic exchange of tax and banking information that is expected to aid unearthing and r... »