Intercepted on the Purkazi border by the Uttar Pradesh police and sent back to Haridwar on Sunday evening, Baba Ramdev returned to announce that the indefinite fast would continue at his Patanjali Yogpeeth here.
Addressing journalists for the second time on Sunday, Baba Ramdev asserted that he would definitely go to Delhi as it was not anyone's private property ( Dilli kisi ke baap ki nahin hai). He clarified that his journey to Noida to continue the fast there had been cut short perhaps by the administration. “I still believe that Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati, who had condemned the police action, had not been consulted on the issue [of giving permission for the fast in Noida].”
About 5,000 of his supporters were still missing after the police action at the Ramlila grounds in New Delhi, he said adding that many were injured.
Earlier on Sunday, the Baba accused the Congress-led UPA government of having conspired to kill him during the police crackdown on his satyagraha in New Delhi on the intervening night of May 4 and 5. “The supporters of black money may have ejected me from New Delhi but the indefinite fast will continue till my demands are met,” he said.
Uttarakhand Chief Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank had a closed door meeting with Baba Ramdev at his Patanjali Yogpeeth in the afternoon. Emerging from the meeting, Mr. Nishank said he was shocked at the way the yoga guru was treated by the UPA government. “We support the anti-corruption crusade launched by Baba Ramdev and he can continue his fast anywhere in the State,” he said.
Baba Ramdev accused the government of having threatened not to fulfil any of his demands if anti-corruption crusader Anna Hazare was allowed to share the dais.