Conspirators can harm her, MLA says in his letter to Gehlot
The former Rajasthan minister, Babulal Nagar, who was accused of raping a 35-year-old woman, has urged Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot to provide security to her after she levelled fresh allegations that the minister and his kin had been threatening her.
In a letter to Mr. Gehlot, Mr. Nagar said the rape allegations were the handiwork of certain conspirators who could harm the woman and in any such event the needle of suspicion would “obviously” point to him. The Dudu MLA wrote that neither he nor his friends and relatives had threatened the woman.
“However, the people behind this conspiracy can go to any extent to harm this woman ... they can even make her disappear ... I feel that if even the slightest harm is visited upon her person, the needle of suspicion would certainly point to me,” wrote Mr. Nagar.
Meanwhile, the CB-CID (Crime Branch) continued the investigation though the State government on Saturday recommended to the Centre a CBI probe into the issue.
On Sunday, the CB-CID questioned three staff members of the former Minister stationed at his official residence.
The woman had accused Mr. Nagar of calling her to his residence on September 11 and raping her.
Mr. Nagar is the third minister to quit — after Mahipal Maderna and Ramlal Jat — in the current Congress government over charges of sexual impropriety.