Central Bureau of Investigation director Ranjit Sinha on Monday said no notice had yet been served on former Railway Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal in the alleged cash-for-appointment case.

“We have not served any notice on him so far … at this stage we are gathering all relevant facts,” Mr. Sinha told The Hindu, confirming that officials of the Railway Ministry’s Vigilance Department were also being examined to piece together the larger picture behind the conspiracy.

The CBI chief said the probe at the moment was restricted to the bribery case in which Mr. Bansal’s nephew Vijay Singla and others were involved. To whether the agency was probing into previous appointments in the Ministry, Mr. Sinha said: “Why should we? Only this particular case is being investigated.”

CBI officials said the agency may interrogate Mr. Bansal based on records of nearly 1,500 phone calls between the accused persons. The call intercepts, along with the vital disclosures made by the accused, the officials said, were ample reasons to zero in on him. It is learnt that the CBI has intimated the authorities concerned about their plans to question Mr. Bansal.

However, the agency has not mentioned the existence of these call intercepts in the FIR registered in the matter. While it has not yet given a formal confirmation about the existence or contents of these intercepts, sources said the conversations, running into several hours, just contain indications of the accused discussing about Mr. Bansal. There is no direct reference to him anywhere, they added.

RELATED NEWS

Vijay Singla, others seek bail July 20, 2013

More In: National | News