Pravin Mahajan, serving life term for the murder of his brother and Bharatiya Janata Party leader Pramod Mahajan, has been diagnosed with brain haemorrhage. He is in a critical condition, and undergoing treatment at a hospital in Thane.

Mahajan, who was on a 14-day parole, had to report to the Nashik Central jail by 5 p.m. on Saturday.

The hospital authorities told the press on Saturday that Mahajan was brought on Friday night and admitted to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU).

A press release issued by the hospital said, “He is suffering from extensive pontine haemorrhage (brain haemorrhage). He is currently on life support and is in a very critical condition and deeply unconscious. A team of doctors, including a physician, neurologist, neuro-surgeon, intensivist and a cardiologist, is taking care of him.”

Ravindra Ghawat, ICU in-charge, said Mahajan has “70 to 80 per cent chances of non-survival.” He ruled out any surgery saying medical treatment was the only option.

By evening, there was no improvement in his condition. Dr. Ghawat told a press conference, “There has been no positive development till now. There is no change in the neurological status.

“He is on medical treatment to decrease the pressure on the brain. We are monitoring his condition regularly. The first three to four days are crucial [in this state].” He remained non-committal when asked if Mahajan would recover.

Dr. Ghawat said there was a blot clot in the brain. The probable cause of the haemorrhage could be hypertension, he said. “He [Mahajan] was brought last night with high blood pressure. Now it has stabilised.”

He ruled out the possibility of any foul play. There were no external injuries on Mahajan’s person.

The Thane police have faxed Mahajan’s medical certificate to the jail authorities in Nashik. Swati Sathe, Superintendent of Nashik jail, told The Hindu over phone that Mahajan would have to make a written application to the Deputy Inspector-General (Prisons), Aurangabad, seeking extension of his parole.

The Thane police have been keeping a watch on Mahajan. Anil Dhere, Commissioner of Police, Thane, said that the police were inquiring into “the circumstances under which he [Mahajan] got the attack.” However, the family was not in a frame of mind to tell the police anything, he said.

About the expiry of the furlough, Mr. Dhere said, “Technically, if he has not surrendered, the authorities in Nashik have to lodge a complaint, upon which we would act. We have not received any communication from either the Nashik police or the jail authorities.”

He was awarded life imprisonment by a Mumbai court in December 2007 and lodged at the Nashik Central Jail. He was released on parole on November 27 reportedly on medical grounds.


Pravin Mahajan is dead March 3, 2010

Pravin Mahajan suffers brain haemorrhageDecember 12, 2009