An anti-terrorism court here conducting the trial of seven suspects linked with the Mumbai terror attacks, including LeT operations commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, on Saturday adjourned the hearing till September 26.
No other details of the proceedings were available due to a strict media blackout imposed by Judge Baqir Ali Rana, who is conducting the trial inside the high-security Adiala Jail in the garrison city of Rawalpindi due to security reasons.
The hearings are being conducted in-camera and judge Rana has issued a gag order, citing national security concerns as well as the security of the accused and witnesses.
Sources told PTI that the judge adjourned the case till September 26 following Saturday’s proceedings.
It is still not clear whether the seven accused have been formally indicted as yet though authorities have so far prepared two charge sheets against them. Lawyers representing the accused said they had been directed by the judge to strictly adhere to the gag order and not to discuss the proceedings with the media.
Five LeT operatives — Lakhvi, communications expert Zarar Shah, Abu al-Qama, Hamad Amin Sadiq and Shahid Jamil Riaz — being tried by the anti-terrorism court.
They have been accused of providing training, financial support, accommodation, equipment and communications gear to the 10 terrorists who attacked Mumbai last year.
No details are available of the charges against the two other suspects, Jamil Ahmed and Younas Anjum.