Two students died in the southern suburb of the city on Thursday after they were allegedly fed food laced with poison by a schoolmate.
According to Laxmi Narayan Meena, Superintendent of Police, West Bengal's South 24 Pargana district, DDV School students Jyoti Singh (13) and Payel Pandey (11) were admitted to the Bangur hospital in a critical condition by the school authorities.
“Both girls died immediately after being admitted to the hospital. Prima facie, the deaths seemed to have been caused by poisoning, but we are awaiting reports from the hospital authorities,” Mr. Meena said.
The Superintendent of Police added that the police were investigating. No arrest has been made so far.