Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Saturday said talks between the Centre and the Hurriyat Conference will continue despite attack on moderate separatist leader Fazl Haq Qureshi by suspected terrorists in an apparent attempt to disrupt the dialogue.
“Talks will continue despite all these impediments and road blocks,” Mr. Omar told reporters on the sidelines of a function at S K international convention complex here.
The chief minister lauded the statement of moderate Hurriyat Conference Chairman Mirwaiz Umer Farooq that his amalgam would not be cowed down by the attack last evening on Mr. Qureshi and would pursue the line of dialogue with both India and Pakistan to resolve the Kashmir issue.
“I congratulate Mirwaiz for his statement that talks will continue”, he said.
65-year-old Qureshi was shot in his head twice by terrorists last evening at Soura in downtown of the city when he was coming out of a mosque after prayers. He continued to be on ventilator.
Mr. Omar said the state government had no prior information about the attack but the separatists had been provided security as per threat perception.
Though Mr. Qureshi was offered security at many occasions he declined, the chief minister said, adding the condition of Mr. Qureshi was “stable“.
Mr. Omar said the attack was carried out by elements who do not want peace to return to the state. “This is the work of enemies of peace“.
When asked that a militant outfit has owned responsibility for the attack, the chief minister said “things will unfold in the due course of investigations”.