Even after authorities lifted curfew in Srinagar and the rest of the Kashmir Valley on Sunday, 60 people were injured and 50 were detained on the second consecutive day of sectarian clashes in Budgam district.

Inspector General of Police (Kashmir) Abdul Gani Mir said curfew was lifted in Srinagar and all other major towns after the situation improved. Curfew was imposed on Friday after the Border Security Force fired at a gathering in the Ramban district, killing four.

However, parts of Budgam reeled under curfew for the third consecutive day as sectarian clashes, which broke out after an altercation between two persons at Bemina, intensified on Sunday. “All deployments will remain in place as the curfew is continuing indefinitely in Bemina-Budgam- Nasrallapura belt,” Mr. Mir said.

Superintendent of Police, Budgam, Mohammad Irshad told The Hindu that 50 persons were picked up and detained during clashes on Saturday and Sunday. Curfew was violated in Bemina, Dooru, Sebdan, Hakermulla, Galwanpora, Rishipora, Dafpora, Nasrallapura and Kadipora, he said, and added that heavy reinforcements brought the situation under control.

Health Department officials said 60 persons reported for treatment at three different hospitals, of whom eight were admitted to the SKIMS Soura and its affiliate medical college in Bemina.

A police spokesman said 16 persons, including eight police and CRPF men, sustained injuries elsewhere in the Valley when some groups indulged in stone pelting.

Meanwhile, a delegation of clerics of the Majlis-e-Tahfuz-e-Eman visited curfew-bound villages even after Aga Syed Hassan of Anjuman-e-Sharee was attacked by a group in Srinagar when he was going to meet Hurriyat chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq. His car suffered damage in the attack.

FIR against Facebook users

Some Facebook users, the police spokesman said, were spreading false rumours about a boy’s death during police action in Sumbal. All these people were being identified and action would be taken against them, he said. A criminal matter under the Information Technology Act was registered against such people on Sunday.