INS Sindhurakshak submarine had sunk on August 14 last year in its harbour after an explosion in its torpedo section killing all the 18 personnel on board
The Navy is close to finalising a contract expected to cost over Rs.250 crore for salvaging submarine INS Sindhurakshak which sank in Mumbai harbour six months ago after an explosion in its torpedo section. The file regarding the contract for salvaging the vessel has been sent to the Defence Ministry and it is expected to be sanctioned by the Ministry very soon, Navy officials said on Wednesday.
Navy’s Russian-built INS Sindhurakshak submarine had sunk on August 14 last year in its harbour after an explosion in its torpedo section killing all the 18 personnel on board. Its salvaging would help the Navy to complete its inquiry into the reasons behind the incident.
The foreign vendor has sought 45 days to bring his heavy instruments to the accident site and another three months for salvaging the vessel and putting it in a dry-dock, officials said. Meanwhile, a senior naval officer of the rank of Rear Admiral was summoned by his superiors in Mumbai against the backdrop of series of mishaps involving naval vessels, including its frontline frigates.
After the series of incidents involving naval warships, the Commanding officer of INS Talwar has been removed from his post after his vessel was involved in a collision with a fishing trawler, injuring four persons on board and sinking the vessel. The force was also close to finalising the contract for procuring deep sea rescue vessels, which will be useful in rescuing submariners in case of a mishap in deep sea.