A series of reports on an alleged botched operation to catch Indian Mujahideen operative and purported 13/7 mastermind Yasin Bhatkal has left the Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad and the State government fuming.
A top official told The Hindu on Thursday that the government was upset with the leaks from the Delhi police and is sure to take up the matter with the Ministry of Home Affairs “at the right time.” The ATS, which is investigating the 13/7 blasts, has already flagged off its grievance to Delhi.
According to some media reports which attributed the information to sources in Delhi, the ATS arrested Naqi Ahmed, an alleged informer of the Delhi police in a forgery case, thereby botching up an operation to catch Yasin Bhatkal in Mumbai.
Asked to comment, the official denied any botch-up. “Maharashtra is upset with the Delhi police for the manner in which they tried to dabble in the case and in the manner in which they leaked false information thereby jeopardising the prospects of a quick [solution].”
Six months after the blast, the investigators have not made any breakthrough in the triple blasts of July 13, 2011. At least 27 persons were killed and scores injured in the explosions in Dadar, Zaveri Bazaar and Opera House.
Pointing to factionalism in the Delhi police, the official said a section had been working against the interests of the force. “What kind of police officers leak details like these? They did not keep us in the loop. The media reports are a figment of imagination.”