Even as no new incident of violence was reported from the troubled areas of Karbi Anglong district of Assam, two terrorists of Karbi Peoples Liberation Tigers (KPLT) surrendered on Wednesday along with some arms.
“Two KPLT terrorists have surrendered today. They have confessed of their involvement in the disturbance which killed many people last week,” Karbi Anglong Superintendent of Police Mugdhajyoti Mahanta said.
The duo surrendered in front of the SP and other district administration officials at the Bokajan police station.
“They have also deposited one AK-56 rifle, two magazines and 25 rounds live cartridges,” Mr. Mahanta said.
Since the violence erupted in Rengma-dominated villages in the district last week, eight people have been killed, including two militants.
Asked about the current scenario, Mr. Mahanta said no fresh incident took place on Wednesday. “We have relaxed the curfew during day time, but it will be there at night,” he added.
The district administration started relaxing the curfew during the day after additional forces reached the violence-hit areas.
Following the violence in the Rengma-dominated villages, district administration had clamped indefinite curfew in the disturbed areas under Chowkikhola police station.
Police have so far arrested 10 persons for their alleged involvement in the violence.
Last week, KPLT militants had swooped down on Rengma-dominated villages and opened indiscriminate firing killing four persons, including three women.
Following the attack, terrorists belonging to Naga Rengma Hills Protection Force launched a counter attack and killed two KPLT militants in a dense forest. Two more bodies were recovered from a village earlier this week.
Around 1,000 people have become homeless after their houses were set on fire. Also, about 50,000 people have already fled from the Rengma villages.
The district administration has set up three relief camps in the area.