West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee had a narrow escape on Thursday after a fire broke out in the hotel room in which she was staying in Malda, where she is campaigning for the April 24 Lok Sabha election.
The police said that around 6.40 p.m., the air-conditioner in the room caught fire. Ms. Banerjee felt uneasy after inhaling the smoke and called for help.
Transport Minister Madan Mitra said, “After hearing the cries of Ms. Banerjee, Joydeep [her aide] rushed to her help and wrapped her in a blanket and pulled her out of the room. The room was filled with smoke.”
The police said a doctor came soon and examined her.
Fire tenders arrived soon and extinguished the fire.
An investigation is going on, the police said adding they suspected a short circuit behind the fire.
Mr. Mitra alleged a ‘conspiracy’ behind the fire.