A fire broke out at the health and family welfare department of the Odisha state secretariat in Bhubaneswar on Saturday, destroying some official documents and furniture, police sources said.
According to sources, panic-stricken employees ran out of the backdoor as smoke billowed from the fire, which was doused in 30 minutes by three fire tenders.
There was no casualty or injury, sources added.
“The fire was first detected at the chamber of additional secretary Basant Behera in the health and family welfare department in the afternoon,” H&FW department deputy secretary Manoranjan Panigrahi said.
The cause of the fire was yet to be ascertained, though eye witnesses said it might have occurred from a short circuit.