Curfew was clamped in Srinagar on Tuesday as the violence escalated.

A mob attacked a police building after torching a welfare centre in the area, police said.

A group of youths took the body of a woman who died of a bullet injury to Hari Singh High Street, raising anti-government slogans. They defied curfew restrictions, and clashed with the security forces in Maisuma area in Srinagar, leading to another round of firing. Abrar, an 18-year-old youth, was killed in the firing by the CRPF, while another youth, identified as Owais, was seriously injured.

Curfew was defied at several other places with youth resorting to announcement from mosques in loudspeakers asking people to come out on the streets.

A government vehicle was set ablaze by protesters at Gogji Bagh. Over three dozen vehicles were damaged at a number of places, including on the Srinagar-airport road. The protesters blocked the airport road at Hyderpora Chowk for several hours.

Reports said violence took place in Baramulla, Pampore in Pulwama and parts of curfew-bound Anantnag leaving 25 injured, including an assistant sub-inspector who was hit by a stone at Mattan Chowk in Anantnag.

Police said the mobs pelted stones on police stations at Pattan and Pampore. The policemen fired in the air to scare away the mob.

Authorities announced closure of schools and educational institutions in the city following the protests. Kashmir University postponed all examinations until July 12.


Meanwhile, All Parties Hurriyat Conference chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq led a protest march in Srinagar downtown and condemned the killings. He said protests would continue until the security forces were withdrawn from Kashmir.

The Opposition People's Democratic Party also condemned the killings and alleged that the government was only “fuelling anger” of the people by its actions.

In a statement, PDP president Mehbooba Mufti claimed that the government had run out of options and had decided to “steamroll the sentiments of the people.”