Orissa police on Saturday said they are hopeful of getting additional forces from the Centre soon to tackle Maoists menace that has affected 17 of the 30 districts of the state.
“We are hopeful of getting additional force from the centre soon”, Inspector General (IG) of police (operation) Sanjeev Marik told reporters here adding that the state government had already made accommodation facilities for the central para-military force (CPMF) jawans.
Though the state government had earlier received information from the Union Home Ministry on the proposed anti-Maoist operation, it was still in dark about the dates and places where the operation would be launched.
“The Centre had earlier asked the government to make arrangements for the arrival of jawans. But since then we haven’t heard from them,” Marik said.
While 17 of the 30 districts of the state have been affected by the Maoist menace, districts like Malkangiri, Koraput, Rayagada, Gajapti, Sundergarh, Mayurbhanj and Sambalpur are identified as highly-infested.
The proposed anti-Maoist operation was likely to be confined to Malkangiri district bordering Chhattisgarh while districts like Sundergarh bordering Jharkhand and Mayurbhanj bordering West Bengal, have also witnessed Maoist violence.