Lok Sabha was adjourned twice after acrimonious scenes. In Rajya Sabha, disruption was confined to first half of the morning session.

Proceedings in both Houses of Parliament were disrupted on Wednesday following acrimonious scenes over the issue of rise in prices of essentials and creation of Telangana. The Opposition wanted a discussion on the price issue. This was turned down by the Chair in both Houses.

While the Lok Sabha was adjourned for the day after hurriedly passing three Bills and tabling another even as the din continued, the Rajya Sabha saw two adjournments before scheduled business was taken up.

Members also sat on a dharna on the Parliament House premises to protest against the high prices. They carried placards demanding inclusion of several essential commodities in the public distribution system.

Trouble broke out in the Lok Sabha as soon as it assembled for the day with the entire Opposition, including the Left parties, the Samajwadi Party, the Bahujan Samaj Party and constituents of the National Democratic Alliance shouting slogans against the rising prices, with most of them trooping into the well.

Telugu Desam Party members were seen carrying placards in support of "united Andhra Pradesh." MPs from Telangana region also waved placards reading "Jai Telangana." Speaker Meira Kumar adjourned the House till 11.30 a.m.

The scene was no better when the House reassembled and had to be adjourned for the second time for another 30 minutes.

When the House met once again after the second adjournment, the Opposition was vociferous again but the Speaker went ahead with the business amidst the din. The National Capital Territory of Delhi Laws (Special Provisions) Second Bill, 2009; the Payment of Gratuity (Amendment) Bill, 2009; and the National Rural Employment Guarantee (Amendment) Bill, 2009 were passed without any discussion.

Union Minister for Law and Justice Veerappa Moily tabled the Commercial Division of High Courts Bill, 2009 even as the cacophony continued. The House was adjourned for the day after the entire legislative business was completed within 15 minutes.

In the Rajya Sabha, the disruption was confined to the first half of the morning session. When the House assembled at noon, a few Members sought to again raise the price issue but Deputy Chairman K. Rehman Khan was firm on continuing with the listed business. The afternoon session also saw business-as-usual in the upper House.

More In: National | News