It will file its say on bail plea of 9 accused on November 4
The National Investigation Agency (NIA) will file its say on the bail plea of the nine accused in 2006 Malegaon blasts case on November 4, a court here was told on Monday. “We will also file additional material about the investigation carried out so far,” Special NIA Prosecutor Rohini Salien said.
Ms. Salien denied certain media reports which stated that the NIA would file an additional charge sheet in the case. “We haven't made any new arrest. And we have already charge-sheeted the arrested accused. So technically, there is no question of filing an additional charge sheet. What we are going to file can be called additional material, not additional charge sheet,” she told The Hindu.
The NIA is slated to submit the recorded statements of the accused, the results of the lie detector and brain mapping tests and other investigative details before the court. “We will submit everything that we have investigated till now,” Ms. Salien said.
After the NIA submits the additional material and its say, arguments on the bail plea will begin on November 19.
The NIA recently recorded additional statements of some of the accused, defence counsel Khalid Azmi told The Hindu. “We have said in the bail plea that everyone has been in the prison since 2006. The investigation has been completed. There is no need for custody anymore,” he said.
The 2006 Malegaon blasts killed more than 37 persons and injured over 100. The case was first investigated by the State Anti-Terrorism Squad, and later handed over to the CBI. The probe was handed over to the NIA this year.