Muslim groups on Thursday reacted with disappointment to the dismissal of the Sunni Central Waqf Board (SCWB) suit and the three-way division of disputed land ordered by the Allahabad High Court in the Ayodhya title suits.

SCWB lawyer Zafaryab Jilani said the Board, the main litigant on behalf of Muslims, will appeal against the decision in the Supreme Court: “The High Court's formula of one-third land is not acceptable to the Waqf Board and it will go to the Supreme Court.”

Yusuf Muchhala, convener of the legal cell of the All-India Muslim Personal Law Board (AIMPLB), said the SCWB's suit was dismissed for being time-barred — a technical ground. He said there were several inconsistencies and baffling points in the verdict. The court dismissed the suit and ruled that the mosque had been constructed by demolishing a temple while simultaneously allotting a third of the land to the Waqf Board: “If this is the case, why give us any legal relief? Why allot us any land?”

Mr. Muchhala said prima facie the three judgments appeared to be a mix of facts, principles and mythology. Reacting to the ruling that the spot under the central dome of the mosque was the Ram janmasthan because it was held so by Hindu belief and faith, he said: “A court of law has to go by hard facts and the provisions of the law. There is no scope to go by theology.”

He, however, added that the matter would come to a “full stop” with Muslims accepting the decision once the apex court gave its final verdict. He also said he was gladdened by the mature and calm response of the people to the verdict. “What is important is that we as a nation have matured. This reflects the faith of the people in the Constitution.”

More In: National | News