Four cases are close to being solved

Even as a former RSS worker Kamal Chauhan was apprehended for his alleged involvement in the Samjhauta Express blast case, the government said more arrests were expected to be made, leading to solving of at least six terror attack cases. These include the bomb blasts in Malegaon, Modassa (Gujarat), the Ajmer Sharif Dargah and the Mecca Masjid in Hyderabad.

In a statement here on Thursday, the Home Ministry said the 2006 Malegaon blast, the 2007 bombing of the Samjhauta Express, the Mecca Masjid and the Ajmer dargah and the 2008 explosions in Malegaon and Modassa were being either reinvestigated or further probed.

The Ministry said the National Investigation Agency (NIA) had arrested Naba Kumar Sarkar alias Swami Aseemanand, Lokesh Sharma, Devender Gupta and a few others in connection with these cases.

Kamal Chauhan, who was arrested by the NIA on Sunday, claimed that he had planted bombs on board the Samjhauta Express that left 68 people, mostly Pakistanis, dead.

The Ministry's response came after the spokesperson of a political party said no case of terror had been solved by investigating agencies in the last eight years.

Seven cases solved

Giving details of major terrorist incidents since May 2000, the Ministry said there were 46 incidents and of these all but seven cases were solved.

“In nine cases, convictions have been obtained. In the remaining 30 cases, charge sheets have been filed in 29 cases and trial has commenced in 19 cases. Two cases ended in acquittal and appeals have been preferred. Of the seven unsolved cases, four cases are close to being solved.”

The recent busting of an Indian Mujahideen module has revealed that it was responsible for three incidents in 2010 — the bomb blasts at German Bakery in Pune, the Chinnaswamy Stadium in Bangalore and the shootout and blast near Jama Masjid in Delhi — and the July 2011 serial bomb blasts in Mumbai.

“As regards the German Bakery case, one charge sheet has been filed, one of the accused is facing trial, and six accused have been declared absconders.”

The government and the investigating agencies were “sparing no effort to solve every terror case and bring the perpetrators to justice,” the Ministry said.

RELATED NEWS

Case against sadhvi fabricated: defence counselFebruary 19, 2012

More In: National | News