Maruti Suzuki India on Tuesday reopened its Manesar plant amid heavy security, a month after a lockout was declared due to the violence in which one senior company official was killed and 100 others injured.
“Production has resumed at the Maruti Suzuki Manesar plant this morning,” a company spokesperson said.
Senior Superintendent of Police, Yogender Nehra, said a total of 1,200-1,500 policemen, including 540 from India Reserve Battalion (IRB), have been deployed inside and outside the plant.
“We have not got any information of any untoward incident inside the plant so far. Forces will be here till industrial peace is established in the region,” he added.
Earlier in the day, Gurgaon Police Commissioner K K Sindhu also inspected the security arrangement in the plant. MSI has also formed its own special force numbering 100, which includes ex-service men.
The company had earlier announced that only 300 permanent workers will resume work in a single shift.
Villagers from adjoining area of the plant expressed their support to the company. “We will do whatever possible to help the company and restore normalcy,” Kasan Village Sarpanch Ramesh Singh Chauhan said.
MSI has also decided to terminate services of 500 permanent workers, who were allegedly found to be involved in violence inside the plant. Besides, MSI is also said to be planning to remove another 500 contract workers over their alleged role in the violence and arson.
Initially, about 150 cars are expected to be rolled out every day instead of the plant’s normal capacity of 1,500- 1,700 units. Production will be gradually ramped up at the plant, which has an annual capacity of 5.5 lakh units.
The company had earlier announced that only 300 permanent workers will resume work. Maruti Suzuki India (MSI) Chief Operating Officer (Administration) S Y Siddiqui had said on Monday that the workers would operate just a single shift from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m..
The company had declared a lockout at Manesar plant on July 21 following the worst ever violence in its history on July 18. The plant suffered damages estimated to be less than Rs. 10 crore, while the overall production loss during the lockout was pegged at around Rs. 1,400 crore.
Prior to the incident, the plant had employee strength of 3,300, of which 1,528 were permanent.
To increase the workforce, the company will start fresh recruitment of permanent workers from September 2 and existing contract workers will also be considered for the same.