A major fire broke out on Saturday in the historic Victoria Market here gutting over 150 shops, fire brigade sources said.

The fire was noticed between 2.30 am and 3.00 am, which soon engulfed the entire building. The market has large number of garment and stationary shops, they said adding prima facie it appears that short-circuit may be the reason behind the fire.

Fire tenders from Gwalior Municipal Corporation, Air Force Station, Bhind and Morena towns were pressed into the service to control the blaze.

It took over 12 hours for fire-fighters to control the fire during which fire brigade personnel and two others suffered injuries and were admitted in the hospital

A portion of the market also collapsed during the incident, sources said.

The Municipal Corporation has announced an immediate assistance of Rs. 5,000 each to the shopkeepers and Rs. 11,000 each from the Chief Minister’s relief fund.

The Victoria Market building was constructed in the year 1904 in the honour of Queen Victoria.

More In: National | News