*The Parliament House Estate comprises Parliament House, the Reception Office building, the Parliament Library (Sansadiya Gyanpeeth), the Parliament House Annexe, and extensive lawns with fountains.

* The Parliament House Estate is enclosed by an ornamental red sandstone wall with lattice work.

* The building was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens and Sir Herbert Baker — who were responsible for the planning and construction of New Delhi.

* The foundation stone for Parliament House was laid on February 12, 1921 by the Duke of Connaught. The construction took six years, and the opening ceremony was done on January 18, 1927 by the then Governor-General of India, Lord Irwin.

* The total cost of construction was Rs. 83 lakh.

* The design liberally used Indian motifs and symbols in the carvings. The building was constructed with indigenous material and using Indian labour.

* The centre and focus of the building is the big circular edifice of the Central Hall.

On the three axes, radiating from this centre, are placed the three chambers for the Lok Sabha (House of the People), the Rajya Sabha (Council of States), and the erstwhile Library Hall (formerly the Princes Chamber), and among them lie garden courts.