With the verdict of the Babri Masjid title suit scheduled to be announced on September 24 and reports of the involvement of the Indian Mujahideen in the firing near the Jama Masjid in New Delhi earlier in the day, a high-level meeting was held here on Sunday to review the security situation in the city.

Although there is no specific threat, the security in certain areas is being strengthened. The number of Quick Response Teams (QRT) will be increased, Jawed Shamim, joint commissioner of police (headquarters) of the city police told journalists after the meeting.

Security checks after 9 p.m. will also be increased, he added.

On alert

“Security will be stepped up at hotels, malls and multiplexes. All entry and exit points of the city are put on alert and special checking will be conducted in the places where footfall is high,” he said.

He also said that a close watch will be maintained at places are frequented by foreign tourists.

“Since the verdict of the Babri Masjid title suit case is expected on September 24, particular measures are going to be put into place to ensure that communal harmony is maintained,” Mr. Shamim said.

RELATED NEWS

Prohibitory orders in U.P. September 19, 2010

News channels to follow guidelines on AyodhyaSeptember 18, 2010