The Kerala High Court on Wednesday dismissed the Suryanelli rape survivor’s plea for a fresh probe into the alleged role of Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman P.J Kurien in the episode, in the light of the “revelation” by the sole convict.
Justice P. Bhavadasan observed that there was no new material to order a probe into the allegations against Mr. Kurien.
The court said the trauma undergone by the survivor was quite understandable and it was not forgetful of the need to be sensitive, sympathetic and considerate to such survivors. At the same time, one could not omit to note that the threat of ‘Suryanelli’ had been haunting Mr. Kurien for years. His role was investigated by several superior officers and he was also proceeded against on a private complaint lodged by the survivor. The High Court discharged him from the case in 2007. Earlier, the Thodupuzha Sessions Court also dismissed the plea of the survivor, stating no new material had been brought before it, warranting a probe into Mr. Kurien’s alleged role.
Opposing the plea, senior government Pleader C. Rasheed said there was no merit in her contentions.
The survivor had moved the Judicial First Class Magistrate Court, Peerumedu, against Mr. Kurien on the basis of the statement of Dharmarajan, the sole convict, who claimed, in a TV channel interview a few months ago, that he had taken Mr. Kurien in a car to a guesthouse at Kumily, where the girl was lodged. But Dharmarajan later filed an affidavit before the Magistrate Court stating he had never met Mr. Kurien and that he was inebriated when he made the charge through the media. Thus, no ground was made out to interfere with the lower court orders, said Mr. Rasheed.