The National Investigation Agency (NIA), on Monday, filed a charge sheet against seven accused in the Kozhikode twin bomb blasts case before the NIA Special Court here.
This is the first case that the NIA has taken over from the State. It took up the case following the suspected links of the accused with other terror cases in the country.
The blasts took place on March 3, 2006 at two bus stands in Kozhikode city. Two policemen and a porter were injured in the blasts. T. Nazeer, a suspected Lashkar-e-Taiba operative was the first accused.
The charge sheet said the investigation established that the seven accused, including T. Nazeer, had hatched the conspiracy to manufacture and explode bombs at the two bus stands. It said Mohamed Azhar and P.P. Yoosaf had been declared proclaimed offenders and Fayis, another accused, died in an encounter with security forces in Jammu and Kashmir while crossing the India-Pakistan border for getting training in Pakistan. These accused were involved in several anti-national and terror-related cases.
The accused had been charged with offences under various sections of the Indian Penal Code and provisions of the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, 1967 and the Explosive Substances Act.